Now in its third year, the Big Bottle Festival is the Western Cape’s grandest annual wine tasting extravaganza and celebrates South Africa’s finest “Big Bottle” masterpieces during a weekend-long festival.Unique in concept and execution, the event brings together South Africa’s foremost winemakers and chefs de cuisine and it all happens next weekend 23rd to 25th August 2013.
The renowned five-star Cellars-Hohenort Hotel will once again be the backdrop for this sophisticated weekend of fine wine and culinary delights coming together with the sumptuous Gourmand Five-Course Dinner Experience prepared and presented by renowned sommelier and wine consultant Jörg Pfützner and award-winning chef Peter Tempelhoff on Friday evening as well as a Rare Champagne Tasting.
Spearheaded by Tempelhoff, from the Liz McGrath’s collection of hotels, the third annual Big Bottle Festival will showcase a panoply of culinary stars such as Edgar Osojnik head chef at Buitenverwachting, Harald Bresselschmidt celebrated chef from Aubergine Restaurant, Roland Gorgosilich of Bosman's Restaurant at the Grand Roche Hotel in Paarl, Gregory Czarnecki renowned for his work at the Waterkloof Estate and Brad Ball, Executive Chef of the world class Bistro Sixteen82 amongst others.
The five courses will be accompanied by exclusively selected wines from classic international regions such as Bordeaux with the tasting of an iconic 1983 Chateau Gruaud-Larose as well new cult wine Ladredo from re-emerging regions like Ribeira Sacra.
Other wines which will be served on the evening include the 2011 Soalheiro Alvarinho Dócil, 2003 Nyetimber Blanc de Blancs from England, 1994 Quinta de Bágeiras from Portugal, 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Tradition Kremstal from Austria, 1983 Chateau Gruaud Larose from Bordeaux France and 1998 Niepoort Colheita Port most of which will be served from rare Magnums, Imperials and Methuselah.
In keeping with the connoisseur element the Champagne Tasting will centre around extremely rare champagnes not easily found locally with eight notable 2002 vintage cuvees from Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, Dom Pérignon, Louis Roederer Cristal, Jacques Selosse Blanc De Blancs Grand Cru Brut Millesime and Egly-Ouriet Pere et Fils Brut Grand Cru. As an offering of some of the best Champagne vintages of the last 10 years, the tasting will be presented by Hendrik Snyman, one of the most knowledgeable and entertaining Champagne importers and MCC producers in South Africa.
The Big Bottle walk-about and tasting on Saturday and Sunday the 24th and 25th August allows food and
wine lovers to experience the various wines from a select group of farms. Sunday kicks off with a 3-course Champagne Breakfast. Focusing on the few wineries and estates in South Africa who are able to bottle wines in large bottle formats. All wines will be poured from big bottles during the Walk-About.
These wine farms bottle in large formats, usually only for special occasions and limited releases, to showcase outstanding vintages either to mark a winery’s anniversary or for charitable purposes. These magnificent bottles are synonymous with celebration, extravagance, enjoyment and invoke a feeling of delightful, social decadence.
Some forty of SA’s top wine producers and importers are serving their best wines at this not to be missed event. Participation is strictly by invitation only with estates including Bouchard Finlayson, Hamilton-Russell, Iona, Delaire Graff Estate, Buitenverwachting, Neil Ellis, Jordan, Thelema Mountain Vineyards, Tokara and Klein Constantia.
Tickets for the Big Bottle Festival are available through Webtickets (webtickets.co.za) with the Walk-Around Day Pass priced at R400 (this includes food and wine), the Gourmand Dinner Experience priced at R1,980 and the 2002 Prestige Champagne Tasting priced at R2,300 per person.
Special hotel packages have been arranged or guests traveling to the Festival.
Single Options - One person all inclusive
- Walk-about-ticket & 1 night accommodation in Luxury Room R2950.00
- Gourmand Dinner, walk-about-ticket & one night accommodation in Luxury room R4999.00
- Prestige champagne tasting, walk-about-ticket & one night accommodation in Luxury room R5500.00
- Dinner, prestige champagne tasting, walk-about-ticket & one night accommodation in Luxury Room R7900.00
- The Full Monty Big Bottle Festival Weekend - Gourmand Dinner, prestige Champagne tasting, 2 night accommodation Luxury Double with Verandah and walk-about tasting R9999.00
Double Options - Two persons all inclusive
- Walk-about-tickets for two & one night luxury room R3999.00
- Gourmand dinner for 2, walk-about-tickets & one night luxury room R8299.00
- Champagne tasting for two, walk-about-tickets & one night accommodation R8900.00
- Gourmand dinner, champagne tasting, walk-about-tickets for 2 & one night accommodation R13750.00
- The Full Monty Big Bottle Festival Weekend - Gourmand Dinner, prestige Champagne tasting, walk-about tasting and 2 night Luxury Double room with Verandah. R14999.00